KHB is one of the Pittsburgh area’s oldest radio stations, tracing its history back to 1934, when 620 AM signed on the air with 250 watts, daytime only.
By the 1950s, 620 was one of the largest radio stations in the Pittsburgh suburbs, increasing its power first to 1,000 watts and then to 2,500 watts in 1980.
In 1996, 620 began a new era of service to the tri-state area under the ownership of local broadcaster Bob Stevens, who moved the transmitter closer to Pittsburgh and raised the station's power to 5,500 watts daytime, and 500 watts in the morning and early evening hours, allowing it to reach the entire Pittsburgh market as well as parts of Ohio, West Virginia and Maryland.
The new identity of “620 KHB,” adopted in 1999, signified that the station was going in a new direction.
After years of hard work, KHB in 2011 added an FM signal at 94.1 MHz, which allows it to reach new listeners on the FM band in Allegheny County.
Today, 94.1 and 620 KHB provide their combined audience with a variety of speciality programs, including talk shows, religious broadcasts and quality ethnic music such as polkas on the weekends, as well as a mix of Pittsburgh’s favorite tunes from the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s in the overnight hours.
(Approximate daytime coverage area for 620 AM. Reception quality may vary.)